Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Food oh glorious FOOD!

As someone who takes great pride in my ability to fall asleep anywhere, on the drop of a hat, it disgraces me to say I could not sleep my first night in Italy. Maybe, just maybe, that is due to the fact that I ate: 3 bruschetta a salad, some of my co-workers curry pasta, and my own filet with a balsamic glaze topped with pine nuts and raisins. OH damn, then I decided a double scoop of gelato would finish off my night perfectly. AHHH the flavors that I savored, I’m sure you are all jealous/drooling as you read this.

 The next day didn’t start too well either. As it was my first day of work, and I slept literally 4 hours in the past 48, I drank 2 cappuccinos at breakfast so that I could be ready for the day’s activities. Oh wait, I forgot to tell you what I had for breakfast! I had a boiled egg, 2 thin slices of coppa (a lovely Italian curred meat), swiss cheese, 2 kiwi, baguette, and did I mention a ton of coffee?! But back to the story, the first day is full of introductions at the facility, with every introduction they wanted to drink a cafĂ©. The first few hours I drank 4 espressos/cappuccinos! I never thought I was going to survive that morning since I started to shake so much from caffeine jitters, but, hey, I did. Two of the men we had met that morning offered to take us to the ‘cafeteria.’ Only this cafeteria was like none I had experienced before. You have to understand, there are many courses in the Italian meal (including lunch apparently.)
  1. First you have an antipasto, which includes heavy starters like bruschetta, sliced meats, cheese, etc.
  2. Next you have the Primo, which is where all the heavenly pastas are located. AHH the pasta is perfectly cooked al dente, no matter where you are.
  3. Secondo follows, this is where you will eat your meat or you can’t have any pudding, I mean gelato ;).
So this structure has followed me for every lunch and dinner since I have arrived. Lunch at work is no different. This free meal included the primo, secondo, and a vegetable all at healthy portions.


Now, I hope you all have some sort of idea how fat I will be next time I see you…. Beware.

Caio my friends, the next post will be about my newly adopted workout routine, or the men of Italy, I do not know!

Xoxo.

S.

PS.
Tell me if there is a topic you are insanely interested in and I will write about it!

1 comment:

  1. Tell us about the historic sights you'll be seeing, obviously in Italy! :)

    ReplyDelete